Wednesday, August 29, 2012

BIG AL'S JOVIAL JUKEBOX #1: "Cruise In It" by THE CRICKETS



Here is one in a long line of those great, unprentious Rock and Roll songs about [to lift an old Chuck Berry coinage] "motorvatin'" in one'a them horseless carriages!

Written by Jerry Allison back in 1978, it's a great celebration of, well, cruising.  I just love it... the wailin' saxaphone, the playful lyrics... and especially all the rhymes Allison finds for the title phrase "Cruise In It." [Note also the sly reference to "Peggy Sue," the classic rockabilly song Allison co-wrote with Buddy Holly himself back in 1957!]

I first encountered this great tune on the excellent late '80s CD "T-SHIRT" by THE CRICKETS' [yes, that's the actual members of Buddy's surviving back up band!]  Unfortunately, that fine album has still not been re-released and so it is VERY hard to come by today...online vendors routinely ask as much as 50 Bucks for it-- YIKES! 

Still... if you can ever find  a reasonably priced used copy, grab it up.  It was partly produced by life-long Cricket fan Paul McCartney and every song on it is a joyful classic.

So here, take a listen :

CRUISE IN IT
(Jerry Allison)
THE CRICKETS (ZYGOTE MUSIC, 1978)
I paid a hundred dollars down on a '50 model Studebaker
It ain't brand new, but it was owned by an undertaker
Never been driven over fifty-five
Got yer V8 engine, got yer overdrive
And I cruise in it, take off my shoes in it
Don't ever lose in it, I just cruise in it
It had the blackwall tires
I took some paint and put the white ones on
Took off the chrome and got it lookin' just the way I want it
Primered all the spots and then I customised the grill
Don't quite have it finished and I guess I never will
But I can cruise in it, I sing the blues in it
I make the news in it, well I cruise in it
Well, I cruise by the Hi-Dee-Ho and cruise through MacKenzie Park
Gonna cruise by my baby's house, and pick her up right after dark
Well, I took her to the dragstrip, to see if I could qualify
I couldn't 'cause the Fords and Chevys always pass me by
You don't have to go fast to be number one
I go real slow, but still we have a lot of fun
When I cruise in it, kick off my shoes in it
I payed some dues in it, yeah I can cruise in it
I paid a hundred dollars down on a '50 model Studebaker
It ain't brand new, but it was owned by an undertaker
Never been driven over fifty-five
Got yer V8 engine, got yer overdrive
Yeah, I can cruise in it, I get amused in it
I been accused in it, I get enthused in it
When Peggy Sue's in it, light up my fuse in it
Express your views in it, be Howard Hughes in it
Yeah, I can cruise in it, ain't gonna lose in it [fade]
Oh, and here's an image of the mentioned "'50 model Stubaker" for ya, too...
PEACE


2 comments:

Oscar Case said...

My bro had one of those Studebakers and it was a good car. Enjoyed the song and the article.

Albie The Good said...

OSCAR: My 3 older brothers had one too!! They shared the expenses as I recall but they did not maintain it well. It sat in our front yard til the 1980s when a collector finally bought it... lol

Thanks for commenting!