Monday, July 7, 2014

BIG AL's JOVIAL JUKEBOX #29: "Gimme Some" by TEX RITTER, 1964



Albie's Note:  This novelty song was a minor C and W chart hit for legendary cowboy singer Tex Ritter in 1964, the year I was born.  It's a goofy, gloriously honest look at fleshly temptation and man's struggles therewith.  The background chorus just kills me!  Heh heh...

I am amazed this wasn't a bigger hit for ol' Tex.  Enjoy:


 
 
Beer and whiskey, whiskey and beer,
Makes your head start aching, makes your eyes unclear;
Makes you waste your money, turns you blind and dumb.
Gimme some.

Strong tobacco, cigarette smoke,
What a dirty habit, makes you nearly choke!
Fills your lungs with poison, makes your brain go
numb.
Gimme some.
 
[CHORUS]
Will I ever get smart? I doubt it.
Tell me something's bad and I can't live without it.

Pretty women, blue-eyed or brown,
How they drive you crazy, how they drag you down;
Soon they're fat and happy, you're a worn-out bum.
Gimme some,
Gimme some.

Bread and gravy, chicken chow mein,
Too much fancy eating only brings you pain,
Doctor says "Hold on there, not another crumb!"
Gimme some.

Dice and poker, blackjack and dice,
Start to win a little, get to feelin' nice!
Bet it all and roll 'em, "Snake eyes, sorry, chum."
Gimme some.

Will I ever get smart? I doubt it.
Tell me something's bad and I can't live without it.

Pretty women, blue-eyed or brown,
How they drive you crazy, how they drag you down;
Soon they're fat and happy, you're a worn-out bum.
Gimme some,
Gimme some.
Gimme some.
Gimme some.
 

PEACE


7 comments:

Oscar Case said...

I sure don't remember hearing that one before, but I really enjoyed it.
I wasn't quite as bad as that, but I had my fun. Oh, go ahead and Gimme some!

Neil A. Waring said...

I wasn't much of a country music fan when this came out, I was in high school and more into rock-n-roll.
If I would have heard it I would have liked it, still funny all these years later.

Oscar Case said...

I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award, Albie.

Albie The Good said...

NEIL AND OSCAR: Thanks for commentin'

and thanks for the nomination, Oscar :)

Unknown said...

During the summer of 1964, I was an army cadet (Royal Canadian Army Cadets) and spent 7 weeks on a communicator course at an army base (i.e., Camp Picton) in Prince Edward County, Ontario. One of my roommates had a radio that picked up a C&W station from somewhere across Lake Ontario in New York state that played this song several times every day. It soon became our favourite. And, something hard to forget.
I have tried to get a copy of Tex's recording. So far, no luck.

Katherine Curtis said...

I was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) when I was 46 years old 2 years ago. The Rilutek (riluzole) did very little to help. The medical team did even less. My decline was rapid and devastating. my arms weakened first, then my hands and legs. Last year, a family friend told me about DOCTOR JAMES Herbal mix medicine and his effectiveness in treating l ALS , I contacted him. and ordered for his herbal mix medicine, i was happy to report the treatment effectively treated and reversed my Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), most of the symptoms stopped, i was  able to walk and eat well, sleep well and exercise regularly., i'm  pretty active now and my attitude is extremely positive.i joyfully recommend you to DR.JAMES  because health is wealth this is a very bad experience with those living with ALS  or any other diseases like Shingle,schizophrenia,Bipolar, Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Cancer,Scoliosis,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Fibromyalgia,a
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease, Diabetes ,Coeliac disease, Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpes,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Copd,Diabetes  please do not hesitate to contact him on his Email  Drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com 

Anonymous said...

I remember this song from high school days. It got some playing time on the radio in Buffalo, NY in 1964. A group of guys playing poker, we thought it expressed a certain adulthood we aspired to. Youth!!