Saturday, June 22, 2013

COOL SIGN: "This Is A Book Shop"


[I confess I love this photo of a sign that hangs at the Albion Bookstore in Oxford, England. It was new to me but it's apparently made extensive "viral rounds" on the internet already and some folks find it heavy-handed and pedantic... but yeah, I still really like it.  As much as I like and use the 'net, I will always stand in awe of that mind-boggling, great and simple blessing frrom God, The Paper Volume.  In case the above photo ever becomes a "dead link," I thought I should maybe copy out what the sign says, so that is why the words are written out here also. -- Albie]


THIS IS A BOOK SHOP

CROSSROADS OF CIVILIZATION
REFUGE OF ALL THE ARTS
AGAINST THE RAVAGES OF TIME
ARMOURY OF FEARLESS TRUTH
AGAINST WHISPERING RUMOUR
INCESSANT TRUMPET OF TRADE
FROM THIS PLACE WORDS MAY FLY ABROAD
NOT TO PERISH AS DIGITAL WAVES
BUT FIXED IN TIME
NOT CORRUPTED BY THE HURRYING HAND
BUT VERIFIED IN PROOF

FRIEND, YOU STAND ON SACRED GROUND

THIS IS A BOOK SHOP




"The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments."
-- Apostle Paul, II Tim. 2:13

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes."
-- Erasmus Of Rotterdam

PEACE

2 comments:

Oscar Case said...

Erasmus of Rotterdam says it all.

Albie The Good said...

OSCAR: amen, brother.