Wednesday, December 12, 2012

SONGS THAT TELL A STORY #2: "Gift Of The Magi" by THE SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS


I am a MAJOR fan of both Christmas and O. Henry [William Sydney Porter September 11, 1862 – June 5, 1910] so of course I love the story GIFT OF THE MAGI, first published in the Dec. 21, 1905 edition of the New York World Sunday Magazine.  It is doubtless Bill Porter's most famous, if not his best, short story, which is actually fitting, as it's twin themes of sacrificial love and loyalty are staples of the great man's legacy.

I also like the unique Big Band revival group THE SQUIRREL NUT ZIPPERS, and so I was delighted to find that they had set the tale to music for their Christmas album.  Gotta love songs that tell stories!


My heart is sad, my soul is weary

Though Christmas day is fast appear

I have no silver I have no gold

To buy my wife a gift this year



To see her sad on Christmas morning

Is a thing I cannot bear

I'll pawn the watch my father gave me

To buy a comb for her hair



Oh Mother, Mother what shall I do?

Though Christmas day is fast appear

I have no silver, I have no gold

To buy my love a gift this year



For I am poor and I'm a beggar

Not a cent have I, no dime I claim

I'll trade the golden hair that is our pleasure

Buy for your watch a golden chain



Darling, darling today is Christmas

What has become of your golden hair?

For I've traded our only treasure

These silver combs for you to wear



Darling, darling we've lost our treasure

My gift to you is a golden chain

Though we've pawned away our only pleasures

These gifts we give are not in vain



The wise men came on Christmas morning

Their gifts of love they came to bear

From that day on always remembered

Our own true love forever share

 


PEACE

No comments: