Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"Ramblin' Man" -- DEL SHANNON SINGS HANK WILLIAMS

DEL SHANNON SINGS HANK WILLIAMS
1964


In 1964 Del Shannon was one of the few American artists still riding high in the wake of the so-called "British Invasion."  He had scored a big hit with his self-penned "Keep Searchin'" [classic] and many English acts publicly considered him a precursor and a major influence. Why, at this critical point, he would decide to record an album of Hank Williams covers-- a project that seems in hindsight to have almost obviously been doomed to financial failure--  is anyone's guess.

I gotta tell ya, though, I am glad he did it.   

Del [1934-1990], a Michigan native who had enjoyed a string of driving, vocally charged hits though the early sixties, may not have seemed like the guy to sing "Kaw-Liga" and "Your Cheatin' Heart," but he made them strangely his own, believe you me!

I first found this album on vinyl at PDQ Records in Tucson back about 1985 or so, and it has long been one of my "guilty pleasure" lifetime selections. Click on the Youtube sample below to hear my very favorite cut, the amazing "Ramblin' Man."  

Tell me if that man couldn't flat rip apart an old country classic!

Album cuts
"Del Shannon – Sings Hank Williams" 1964
01. You Cheating Heart (3:07) 02. Kaw-Liga (3:08) 03. I Can't Help It (2:35) 04. Honky Tonk Blues (2:21) 05. Lonesome Whistle (2:17) 06. You Win Again (3:12) 07. Ramblin' Man (3:23) 08. Hey Good Looking (2:36) 09. Long Gone Lonesome Blues (2:13) 10. Weary Blues (From Waitin') (3:18) 11. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (2:58) 12. Cold Cold Heart (2:47)
 RIP Dell! PEACE

No comments: